Monday, January 19, 2015

Day 8: Medicine Ball – Friend of Foe, Jury’s Still Out



Whew, I am EXHAUSTED! I have been nonstop today. 9am on the road to de-stage a home that sold (I swear I must have gone up 40 flights of stairs after that was over), 11am back at the warehouse to unpack, 12:30 PT with Q.

This week we (and by we I mean Q) will be killing me with full body workouts for every training session and continuing on with the two-a-days. I swear Q must be a cyborg. She was walking backwards on the stair climber while I was contemplating the meaning of life, but I will get to that.
This afternoons workout consisted of a treadmill warm-up, 2 rounds of the following: squats with a barbell on my shoulders, lat pulldowns, some other arm press thing, deadlifts, TRX Abs that turned into planking after a mini panic attack, and slamming the medicine ball on the ground while simultaneously doing squats. To end she made me do 10 minutes on what may be the most evil and hateful cardio machine known to man. The stair climber.
So back to one of my nemeses, the TRX strap. Apparently I really hate those things and I am not even sure why. She had me doing abs where your feet are in the straps, and you tuck your knees into your chest. I did this particular move the other night without much issue, but today I only made it through the first 8 and started to go into a panic attack. I tried several times to get back into position, but I couldn’t catch my breath and I could NOT make myself do it. I think Q saw the panic on my face, so she let me hold planks until I collapsed… the moral of this story is, if you have any ideas why this would have happened. Please leave in comments because I am at a complete loss.
Now for the stair climber. As we were ending the second set, Q looks over at the clock and sees we have 15 minutes left. She then informs me that I will be getting on that God forsaken machine…. You remember… I said I climbed 40 sets of stairs this morning, right? Yeah, she knew that and didn’t care. It was the goal for me to remain on this beast for 10 minutes…. And as it turns out, I surprised the shit out of myself and did it. I am fairly certain there are 3 reasons why: 1. Q is next to me walking backwards on the damn thing like it aint nothing (that’s right, I said aint. It was on purpose) so I certainly couldn’t collapse with THAT happening beside me. 2. She was doing me an amazing favor by talking to me about random things to keep my mind off what I was actually doing… perfume, we were talking mostly about perfume and it was awesome. Don’t judge me. 3. She let me go at a turtles pace which still sucked, but sucked a hell of a lot less than it could have.
After she let me off, Q glided while I stumbled over to the counter to look at the schedule for tomorrow where I was informed I will be doing Crossfit at 9am. Holy titties I am crapping my pants. Crossfit scares the hell out of me, but apparently, she thinks I can do it, so that is what I am going to do.
Now I am off to have a delicious home cooked meal with some friends. I will leave you with a letter to my friend/foe the medicine ball.
Dear Medicine Ball,

Why are you so deceiving? You look like you want to be my friend. You are pretty colors, soft, and huggable. Why do you turn into a 400 pound boulder 20 reps in and make me reevaluate everything I believe in? I need you to get it together and remain manageable.
Love Always,
Nicole