Thursday, March 26, 2015

Day 71-73: The World Ain't Ready



Day 71, Tuesday, 3/24: Today was one of the many days in my life that I proudly proclaim as the "Best Day Ever". It started out with Q at 9, followed by heading to my girl Yaya's house for the most fabulous pedicure ever, stopped by Massage Envy to schedule a massage for tomorrow, then ran to Potomac Mills for some retail therapy. Let's just take a second to discuss the psychological state of a fat girl who has now lost enough weight to fit back into her favorite brands.

First a little background. In my very first blog post, I mentioned "it continues to piss me off that I can’t fit into my fabulous cocktail dresses from my early 20’s and that I can’t shop at my favorite stores anymore." What I didn't get into, is exactly how much shopping meant to me and how much I identify with my wardrobe. To me, clothes aren't just something to cover your naked body, they are the vehicle to show the world who you are. Prior to my fat girl status, if I was not in uniform, I was in dresses, pearls, and flip flops 75% of the time (since I am a Southern Belle and all). If I wasn't in a dress, I was in shorts and a tank top. After the fatness took over I stuck to jeans, capris, maxi dresses, and chinos. Still cute, just not as fabulous. My favorite stores were Banana Republic, Gap, Ann Taylor, Limited, and White House Black Market. I shopped other places too, but these were my true loves. If you haven't figured it out by now, I was a bit of a preppy.

Even when I could only fit into plus size clothing (Layne Bryant, Torrid, Eloquii, Macy's Fat Girl Section, etc.), I would still torture myself by going to my favorite stores just to check out the latest trends; every once and a while buying a purse or shoes just to feel like I belong. More often than not, I wouldn't even be acknowledged as I roamed the racks. To me, it seemed as if the sales girls were saying "What is that big girl doing here, she can't wear our clothes".  I always left feeling sad and a bit disheartened. However, if there is one thing I am excellent at, it is compartmentalizing; so, I would never let it effect me long enough for me to do anything about it.

I didn't realize exactly how much I have been craving high quality silk and cashmere or even more the acknowledgement of the staff at my favorite stores, until today. As I pulled up to Potomac Mills, I made a B-Line to Banana Republic. Within minutes, I had an armful of clothes and a girl offering to start my dressing room. I wish I could accurately describe to you the sense of complete euphoria that washed over me as I put on the first outfit and realized I had to ask for a smaller size. It was as if every fiber of my being was screaming YAAASSSSS, YOU DID IT!!!! YOU ARE BACK AND THE WORLD AIN'T READY. I felt amazing and fierce. I felt in control of my life and my body. I took some pictures of course to commemorate the occasion:

 


Once I left Banana, I popped into J Crew, Limited, Coach, Kate Spade, H&M, and Off Broadway Shoes. I fell in love with these Betsey Johnson's. I think they may have magical properties, because I look pretty fabulous in this picture if I may say so:


I didn't want my day to end, but I had to get to the gym. I had Joey texting me keeping me in check. So, off I went to pick him up and get in a round of abs. Pretty good end to the best day ever.

Day 72, Wednesday, 3/25: A day of pampering. This morning I was busy just doing me. I had Q at 10, Caitlin (my hair stylist) at 11:30, and a much needed massage at 5:30. I am feeling pretty fierce lately, so we went with a rock star hairstyle. I also happen to be leaving for NYC Friday morning and am going with my cousin who is model material and I can't be looking like a bum beside him.


Day 73, Thursday, 3/26: Let the adventures begin. I have to get it in prior to my NYC adventure; so, I had Q at 12, tanning at 2, and my cousin Jacob got into town at 3. Once he got in, we hung out for a little bit, then headed off to Churchkey in DC for a few beers. Say bye bye diet. Hope I don't completely destroy you. I'll let you know how it goes.