Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Day 30: Spaghetti Sauce & Spaghetti Squash, YUM



You guessed it, still sick. I woke up at 6 am with a crick in my back, so I proceeded to lay in the shower for an hour, then over to my inversion table, then back to bed. Needless to say I did not make it to Crossfit this morning. When will this ever end?!

Once I did make it out of bed I headed over to Costco and Wegmans to do some grocery shopping. I went to grab what has become my standards: salmon, salad, brussel sprouts, peas, bell peppers, pot roast, ground beef, fruit, tomatoes, coconut milk, almond milk, a billion kinds of fancy waters, and eggs. So many eggs.

For dinner tonight, I decided to make a version of my mom's spaghetti sauce. I subbed  95/5 beef instead of the normal 80/20 and used baked spaghetti squash as the noodles.  Everything turned out pretty good except I wasn't loving the substitution of lean beef.  The flavor wasn't as potent, which was expected.... but what I wasn't expecting is the weird way it clumped into these ball like structures. It ended up being like a thousand tiny meat balls.

For my sauce I put in:

29oz crushed tomatoes with garlic
29oz tomato sauce
8 oz tomato paste
4 cloves minced garlic
4 bay leaves
1 Honey Onion
3 Bell Peppers
2 Pounds 95/5 lean ground beef
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Fresh Ground Himalayan Sea Salt

I sautéd the meat, onions and peppers prior to putting them in the sauce, then let it all the ingredients simmer for a couple hours.

For the "noodles" I took 2 spaghetti squash, cut them in half, sprayed them with a tiny bit of olive oil, sprinkled Himalayan sea salt, baked them 45 minutes, shredded them into a casserole dish, sprinkled some romano and parm, and placed it back in the oven for 10 minutes.

Once everything was done I threw some squash in a bowl and topped it with the sauce. It was pretty magical as far as healthy food goes.

I stole this picture of the interwebs because I didn't take a picture of the finished product, but this looks just like it. I promise.


So if you decide to make this thing, or some version of it, let me know how it goes and what you do different. I'm off to do something productive. I'll talk to you tomorrow.